Saturday 17 February, 2007

Digital duster

The other day my newly installed Windows XP (yeah, yeah, until very recently I was using an ancient Win 98 OS) pointed out primly: "There are 12 unused shortcut icons on your desktop. Shall I get rid of them for you?" Well, the words weren't the same but the idea was. I happily pressed the 'y' button. I have a feeling that even if I had said no, Win XP Ma'am would have coaxed/cajoled/convinced/threatened me into saying yes.

Now, how I wish I had one such cleaner for the rest of my house, which is a permanent mess. Imagine a software that would notice the clutter on the table and wipe it off at one go. Or one that would eliminate the football, teddy bear and pile of books lying on the sofa so that the furniture can be actually used by people to sit on. Or even one that would whack my kids on the back the next time they change into a new outfit and dump their school uniform in the middle of the cot.

Guess Bill Gates already has such 'home solutions' deployed in his hi-fi home. But ordinary minions like us would need to wait another 40 years at least. By then I'll be wishing for a friendly robot to clean my dentures and dust my walking stick.

1 comment:

Smitha said...

Thats a cute post! I like your way of writing. Its, how shall I call it.. words-straight-from-your-mouth kind(for lack of better expression). I wish they had such products on the market. I'd get one specifically to fold the laundry!