Saturday 17 February, 2007

Drumstick leaves pulao

While drumsticks are highly popular in the South, the tree's leaves, I think, are grossly underrated. Not only are they delicious -- in curry, kootu and pulao -- but also highly nutritious. The leaves are rich in iron and my granny always insisted that taking them at least once a week would strengthen our bones and hair significantly.

Here's a recipe to make drumstick leaves pulao, which is also my entry (sans pix) to Nupur's A-to-Z of Indian Vegetables series:

Fry 1/4 cup toor dal without oil till it changes color slightly. Cook it in a cooker with 1 cup washed basmati rice till just done. Reserve. Saute 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 3 tablespoons of tomato puree, and a few pieces of cinnamon and cloves. When these are cooked, add 1 cup of washed drumstick leaves and salt and saute further. This takes about five minutes to cook. Add the cooked rice-dal and mix well. Serve with onion raitha.

6 comments:

Nupur said...

Drumstick leaves? Wow! I don't think I have ever seen or tasted these...thanks for an unusual and tasty recipe!

Inbavalli said...

Thanks, Nupur. Drumstick leaves are quite common out here...even our backyard is teeming with them. Wish I could send some across to you :-))

Maybe you could scout for them the next time you visit an Indian outlet.

Suma Gandlur said...

Wow drumstick leaves pulao. I have heard about the curry though I have never tasted it. Is this a result of your creativity?
I also enjoyed reading about your idlis post. How do you manage to keep the refrigerated batter for a week? Idlis / dosas never turn out good for me with refrigerated batter.

Inbavalli said...

Thanks, Suma. The curry too tastes great. No, this pulao is hardly my brainchild. It's quite popular in the Coimbatore region in TN. In fact, people there garnish ANY pulao/mixed rice with mildly sauteed drumstick leaves for added flavor!

You can easily refrigerate batter for a week by grinding it with minimal water and nil salt. Add water & salt as and when required.

If the age of the batter begins to show despite these efforts, you can sprinkle some Pillsbury Idli Mix, or even plain rice flour, on the batter before using it. The result is quite magical !!

Sriram said...

Hello! Sorry. :) I wasn't in Gill Adarsh. Not sure why your brother would mistake me for someone. But just clearing it up.

Kanchana Radhakrishnan said...

A good receipe

Kanchana Radhakrishnan

jokeskitchentips.blogspot.com