Tuesday 13 February, 2007

Measles mania

Feeling very bogged down. My son is down with measles. Has rashes all over his face, hands and feet. The fever is quite high, making me quite nervous.

If it had been any other illness, I would be less worried. Measles is hardly a terror, but the way it's perceived in our community as. It's considered a manifestation of the anger of Goddess Amman. So people tend to fuss a lot about it. Much of it has scientific roots, such as isolation to prevent the spreading of the disease.

However, my period is due and that positively frightens me. It's considered filthy -- something that will pollute the person with measles -- the one in whom Amman is currently residing. They will not let me miles near my sick child if I happen to 'get it' tonight or tomorrow morning.

Who will feed him, keep an eye on his rashes, check his temperature and give him his medicines? Only Amman should help me :-(

No comments: